This recipe has been in our family for ages, and while it’s a fairly basic one, it’s practically fool-proof.
As a kid, I especially remember the rainy days, confined to the house and slowly running out of fun things to do. Just as cabin fever would set in, mom would gather the kids and start baking pancakes.
As the scent of cinnamon sugar lingered through the house and our tummies duly filled, we would actually wish for more days of rain.
So without further ado, here’s the recipe for fool-proof pancakes.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 250ml milk
- 50g butter
- Sift the dry ingredients, flour baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Mix the eggs and milk together and combine with the dry ingredients.
- Whisk the batter until all the lumps disappear, it should be the same consistency as thin cream.
- Melt the butter in a pan (or nuke it briefly in the microwave).
- Spoon 2 tbsp of the butter it into the batter and whisk it in, then use the rest to oil your pan (even non-stick pans need a little when making pancakes).
- Heat a bit of water in a pot and place a plate with the pot’s lid on top. The steam will heat the plate and keep the finished pancakes hot.
- Get your pan really hot, then turn the heat down to medium and, to start with, do a test pancake to see if you’re using the correct amount of batter.
- Ladle the batter into the hot pan in one go. As soon as the batter hits the pan, roll it around from side to side to get the base evenly coated with batter.
- It should take only half a minute or so to cook; you can lift the edge with a spatula. Flip the pancake over and cook the other side for only a few seconds. Now simply slide the pancake out of the pan onto the heated plate.
- Stack the pancakes on top of each other, remember to sprinkle your mixture of cinnamon sugar between each layer.
To serve, sprinkle each pancake with some freshly squeezed lemon juice and the cinnamon sugar mixture and simply roll them up. Of course you could go completely
overboard decadent by adding any topping of your choice, think whipped cream, maple or golden syrup, slices of banana, chocolate flakes (Aero, Flake or Crunchy works well). Enjoy!